Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Adding the Sniper Knee Plate

I had an original knee-plate in place which I had to remove.
When I did, I discovered that there was a rivet behind it, holding the top front of the calf pieces together. I drilled off the rivet head leaving a single hole.
I placed the mounting plate over the hole with the knee plate held in place, lined it all up, marked where the hole would hit the mounting plate, then drilled a hole in the plate. After I did that, I drilled a second hole in the calf that would hit the mounting plate. I then repeated the marking and drilling process for the mounting plate.

These are the nuts and bolts that I used (From Lowe's).
I slipped them through the holes for a test-fit.

I dropped the nuts in place to make sure there was enough room for them both.

Then, I put a small, thin bit of clear Liquid Nails (also from Lowe's) on the face of one of the nuts and positioned it over the opening. I repeated this for the second nut. When it had been sitting for about a 1/2 hour, I put more of the Liquid Nails around the nuts to anchor them securely to the inside of the mounting plate. I want them secure, as the part of the mounting plate where they are glued will be hidden between the Knee plate and the mount itself once the knee plate is attached with either ABS cement or Liquid Nails.

As soon as the Liquid Nails has cured for several days, I will attach the knee plate with either ABS cement or Liquid Nails, and I will be able to bolt the knee plate on and off at will for repair or replacement or just for easier storage (no breakage in my bin).


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home